So you are planning to start a blog that makes money? Then in this free step by step guide, I will explain to you in detail on how to start a blog for from scratch.
There are bloggers in India those who make thousands of dollars every month as passive income.
Top Indian blogs such as Shoutmelound and Bloggerspassion makes more than $ dollars in a month. If you are ready to take actions, then you can also create a blog that makes huge money online even when you sleep. This is the power of blogging.
Blogging is one of the proven ways to make passive income online. So take your action today itself to become a professional blogger by creating a blog which generates money.
What is the cost to start a blog?
Are you on a tight budget?
It does not cost you much to start a blog. You can even start a blog under $10 every month.
As a newbie blogger, such a hosting plan is enough for you to start with. You can purchase Namecheap Hosting for a small size website under 2 dollars every month.
I am hosting BloggingShell.com and one of my another site hosting on Namecheap for a quite long time. And I am pretty happy with its performance.
How to Start a Blog?
Creating a blog does not take much time. Follow the simple steps below to start a blog in less than 30 minutes under $20 every month.
- Pick a Profitable niche
- Get a Blog Name.
- Buy a WordPress Hosting.
- Install WordPress.
- Install Basic Plugins.
- Design your Blog
- Create essential pages on your blog.
- Create Content and publish.
- Promote Your Blog on Social Media.
So now let us discuss each step in detail now.
1. Pick a Profitable Niche
This is the first and significant steps in creating a successful blog. You should always choose a blogging niche or blog topic that you are passionate about. At the same time, you must make sure that people are searching for the selected topic.
As a newbie blogger, you can use tools like Ubersuggest or Google Keyword Planner for niche research and keyword ideas.
It will also give you an idea about the search volume of each keyword on your niche.
More targeted traffic means more money.
There must be some products to sell under your niche. Health, Wealth and Relationship are some of the profitable markets out there.
Choose a niche from any of these markets that you are most passionate about to make money online.
For example, Weight loss for women, Keto Diet, etc. are some of the most profitable niches. You can use SEO tools like Google Keyword Planner to find profitable niche ideas.
2. Get a Name for your Blog
After finalising a niche, you must choose a name for your blog. Always choose a brandable domain name so that you won’t regret later.
When in it come to the selection of a domain name for a blog, you must keep the following points in mind.
- Always try to get a domain name that is easy to type and remember: It will help your audience to easily remember your blog name.
- Look for a single word domain name: If a single word domain is not available, then you can even get a brandable two or three words domain names. ShoutMeLoud is an excellent example of this.
- You can even use your name as the domain name for your blog. Neilpatel.com,matthewwoodward.co.uk, etc. are some of the best examples for such blogs.
- Choose a .com domain extension: If you plan to grow your blog globally, then you must go for a .com domain only. Selecting a .com domain has multiple benefits when we compared with domain names with other extensions. People may not remember your domain name extension every time. They may only remember your blog name, and they used to write a .com extension after typing your blog name. So I recommend you to go with a .com extension only.
- Check the availability of your blog name on social media: Before you register your blog name, make sure that your blog name is available on social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, etc. You can use free tools like name checker for this purpose.
3. Get a Hosting for your Site
You must choose your hosting provider very carefully. Your hosting provider is responsible for your website speed and security. A secure Webhosting protect you from Cyberattack, Hacking and also ensure maximum uptime.
If you are a newbie blogger, then shared hosting is enough for you. But you may face some difficulties as your site grows as you share the hosting resources with others.
So you must upgrade to a higher plan when you get more visitors to avoid any performance issue.
Still, going with shared hosting is enough for a new blogger. Namecheap hosting is a better option as I already said earlier in this post.
If you have little more budget, then you can go for Bluehost or Siteground as they perform well compared with other hosting providers.
Features of Bluehost
Before we go further let us discuss some features of Bluehost Hosting.
- It is one of the best hosting provider recommended by WordPress.org itself.
- Get a free domain for free for the first year.
- Install WordPress in a few taps, and you do not
- 24*7 Support helps you to host tension free. It includes both cat support and phone support.
- It also offers some marketing tips, Paid ads credits and tools to make your business establish globally.
- Not happy with their services? Get a refund within 30 days of sign up. This 30 days time period is enough for identifying the performance of their services.
Now you may have some questions about the cost of Bluehost. Right?
What is the cost of Bluehost?
Starting a basic WordPress site on Bluehost does not cost much. Also, free domain offered by Bluehost gives you additional benefit as you do not have to pay for your domain for the first year.
With Bluehost, you can start a blog under $3.95 per month. See their pricing plan below.
4. Install WordPress
Now let us discuss how to install WordPress on your hosting in detail. I recommend you to do the installation process in incognito mode to avoid any technical issues during or after the process.
I used to do this installation process incognito mode, and I recommend you to do the same.
Now follow the steps carefully to avoid any technical issues. You can contact me at any time if you need any support during this process.
- Open your hosting account and then Cpanel.
- Then tap on “Install WordPress”.
- A new window will open up and fill the necessary details such as your site name, admin username, email address and password.
- Now press “Next” to install WordPress, and this process will take some time depending on your internet speed.
- Once it is completed, your site is live.
Now you have successfully installed WordPress, and you are good to go. But now it is a basic WordPress site. You should do the following things first as soon as you create your first WordPress Blog.
- Open Post and comment section and delete both sample comment and post.
- Go to Setting and change permalink settings under “Common Settings”. It is crucial from the SEO perspective also.
- Now in the settings itself, you have to name your site and also write a tag line about your website. Your tag line should be about your site. Also, it should be simple and easy to remember. The tag line helps the search engines and readers to understand what your site is about.
Now you have completed some basic settings on your site to increase the search engine visibility of your site. Now you are ready to go to the next step.
5. Install Basic Plugins on your site
Now it is the time to install some basic plugins to your site. As a newbie blogger, you do not need to buy any premium plugins at this time. You can think about premium plugins once your site starts to get some visitors and revenue.
Note: Never use any cracked plugin or theme on your site as it will risk your you and your reader. Hackers can hack your site if you install cracked stuff on your site.
Here are some of the basic plugins that you need to be installed on your brand new site.
- Yoast SEO Plugin or Rank Math SEO Plugin:
You must have an SEO plugin installed on your site. Because it will help you a lot in on-page SEO. I personally use Rank Math SEO plugins on all my blogs as it is free, and it also offers a lot of features.
Yoast SEO Plugin is a wonderful plugin like Rank Math. But you need to subscribe to a premium plan if you want to get all premium features.
- Image Compression Plugins:
Site speed is very important for a blog. There are multiple factors which affect the sites speed in which image compression is an important factor. You can use image compression plugins such as Smush to boost your site speed.
- Use a Cache Plugin:
A cache plugin also required to speed up your WordPress site. As a new blogger, you do not need to subscribe to their premium plan at the beginning of your blogging journey. But you may require one as your site’s size grows.
- Install a Social Sharing Plugin:
Sharing is caring! You must install a social sharing plugin on the first day itself to get more social share for your contents. It helps you to increase the social signal of your site, and it is essential for your site ranking on Google.
- Table of Contents:
Table of contents is an important plugin for an Authority blog. Most of the top-performing sites have a Table of Contents Plugin installed on their site. You can get many free tables of contents plugins for free.
6. Design Your Blog
The first impression is the best impression! This is same for your blog also. You are presenting your blog to your audience to generate leads and sales. A nice blog design helps you to attract more audience and more revenue. Keep the following things on your mind while designing your blog.
- Install a responsive WordPress Theme. Generatepress is one of the most recommended lightweight plugins to make your site load faster.
- Use a responsive website design. Google loves mobile-friendly sites.
- Site design should be simple and easy to navigate.
- Do not use bright colours.
- Take care of your typography and text size. It should be easy to read and scan through with eyes.
7. Now Create Essential Pages
You may get banned if you do not have such an affiliate disclosure on your site.
Write an About page is very important. You should brief about you and your site at About Page. Also, remember to include your expertise there on about page.
8. Write a Blog Post and Publish
It is time to create a blog post on your blog. Always remember that quality content is the first and topmost thing on your blog. Always keep your audience on your mind while writing contents and explain things in a simple language with compelling images and infographics.
Rather than writing long paragraphs write short and single articles.
Keep the following things in mind while you write a blog article.
- Know your audience and their search intent.
- Do keyword research before writing any articles.
- Include long-tail keywords and (Latent semantic indexing) LSI in your blog post to drive more traffic on your blog from search engines. Tools like Ubersuggest, Semrush, Ahref, etc. help you in keyword research.
- Explore Q& A sites like Quora to get more topic ideas.
- Analyse the top 10 sites on your topic before you start to write. Based on your research, create 10X quality content than them with more pieces of information, including images and infographics whenever it is relevant.
- Include focus keywords in Headings and at the beginning of the article. You can also include LSI keywords and long-tail keywords in the on subheadings in a natural way. Google is brilliant and never stuff your article with keywords as it will attract Google Penalty.
After publishing the article, share it on social media to drive traffic. Join Facebook Groups related to your niche and share the article there intelligently. Do not share your article aggressively on Facebook as they may ban your site on Facebook.
Answer niche-related questions on Q&A sites like Quora and include links to related articles on your niche to drive massive traffic Quora.
Quora is one of the best sources of targeted traffic like search engine traffic.
Now you have created a WordPress Blog. It is just a beginning. To bring your blog to the next level you have to write more quality articles on your niche.
Once you started to get some traffic on your blog, you can start to monetize your blog to generate money from your blog.
As I said earlier, there is no shortcut to making money online as well. Work hard and give value to your audience to grow your business.
If you find any difficulty in setting up your blog, you can contact me or join my Facebook Group to get one to one support for free.